VERONA 〓 The orchestra did not stand up at the curtain call of the festival. Backlash spreads against Domingo, who can’t sing and can’t conduct

2022/09/08

Placido Domingo, a world-famous opera singer still active at the age of 82, is in trouble after a new sex scandal erupted in August, and his singing and conducting at the Arena di Verona at the end of August were criticized. Domingo has sent a letter of apology to the Verona city authorities.

A new sex scandal erupted in Argentina. A gang that was running a prostitution ring was rounded up, and it was discovered that a recording of the exchange between the gang and Domingo had been left behind, causing a huge uproar in the local media about the relationship.

This time, his performance as a musician is being questioned, only more seriously. At the “Domingo in Verdi Opera Night” gala concert of the Arena di Verona on August 25, where he appeared as a singer, he sang the baritone repertoire from “Aida,” “Don Carlo,” and “Macbeth,” but made some mistakes and lost his voice at the end. Roman Burdenko was substituted for “The Toast of Macbeth” at short notice.

The next day, he conducted Puccini’s “Turandot,” but according to the local media, the orchestra members said that he had not rehearsed enough and made many mistakes. The orchestra refused to stand up when Domingo urged them to do so at the curtain call.

The next day, the labor union to which the orchestra members belonged submitted a letter to the festival’s management asking them to reconsider their plan to hold a gala concert by Domingo in 2023, the 100th anniversary of the festival.

According to Italian media, in response to these events, Domingo sent a letter of apology to the mayor of Verona and the artistic director of the Festival late last week. Apologizing for his inadequacies as a singer and conductor, he said, “Next year will be the 100th anniversary of the festival. My only wish is to realize a show that will honor your extraordinary history,” he said, requesting to perform next year.

Photo:Arena di Verona


How about this ?

  1. LONDON 〓 Monteverdi Choir and Orchestra board has terminated its contract with founder and conductor John Eliot Gardiner

  2. TORONTO 〓 Andrew Davis got a surprise present from the orchestra

  3. LEEDS 〓 Leeds International Piano Competition has announced the introduction of new rules

  4. TOKYO 〓 Tokyo Symphony Orchestra resumes concert

  5. ECHIZEN 〓 Composer Hosokawa Toshio received the “The Japan Foundation Awards”

  6. YAMAGATA 〓 Yamagata Symphony Orchestra will welcome Tetsuro Ban to the chef conductor

  7. NANCY 〓 Opéra national de Lorraine announced the lineup for 2018/2019 season

  8. MILAN 〓 Manuel Legris will become artistic director of Teatro alla Scala ballet

  9. AMSTERDAM 〓 Klaus Mäkelä to be the 8th Chief Conductor of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

  10. Puccini Festival 〓 Festival has announced a performance schedule for 2021

  11. ROME 〓 Franco Zeffirelli, to produce “Rigoletto” to be 96 years old in 2020

  12. OSLO 〓 Queen Sonja International Music Competition was Finished

  13. Bayreuth Festival 〓 Next year’s “Tannhäuser” will be directed by Axel Kober

  14. LONDON 〓 Announcement, Opera Awards 2018

  15. RIGA 〓 Conductor Mariss Jansons once again featured on stamp

  1. No comments yet.

  1. No trackbacks yet.